Indian Engineering Services Eligibility Criteria 2018
The Union Public Service Commission sets IES Eligibility Criteria
each year. Engineering candidates or those in their final year can apply online for IES 2018
. The last day to register for the engineering service examination is October 23, 2017. UPSC has scheduled IES 2018
for January 7, 2018.
Eligibility parameters are based on the following factors:
- At Least Educational Qualification
- Age Limits
- Physical Standards
- Medical Examination and
A brief about IES Eligibility is listed below:
- Resident of India, Nepal, Bhutan or a Tibetan refugee can apply for IES 2018
- Aspirant must hold bachelor’s degree in the field of engineering from a recognised University
- Age limit: 21-30 years as on January 01, 2019.
IES Eligibility – Nationality
Engineering candidates must take note that UPSC considers the following nationals as applicable to apply for IES Exam:
- An aspirant must be either:
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently setting in India.
- a Tibetan refugee migrated to India before January 01, 1962 with the intention to settle permanently in India
- a citizen of India, or
- a citizen of Nepal, or
- a citizen of Bhutan, or
Note: The certificate of nationality will be accepted only if the aspirant has received the certificate from Government of India. The absence of a valid certificate for IES will lead to the rejection of candidature.
IES Eligibility- Age Limit
- The ex-servicemen aspirants will also receive an age relaxation of 5 years.
- For those who have reserved for any government, the organization will get an age relaxation of 5 years in the upper age limit.
- Aspirant applying for IES 2018 must meet the mentioned IES Age Eligibility by January 01, 2019.
- Physically disabled aspirants will also get an age relaxation of 3 years.
- Age Limit Criteria in IES states that lower age limit for UPSC IES exam is 21 years and Upper Age Limit is 30 years.
- As per UPSC, any government official applying for IES/ ESE will get the age relaxation even if he/she is willing working on a post which is considered of a higher officer cadre.
- There is an age relaxation for the ones of have worked with any government organization on contractual basis for a duration of 3 years or more. The service on the contractual basis will be counted till January 1, 2018.
- The candidate must not have been born previous than January 02, 1988 and not later than January 01, 1997.
- SC/ST/OBC aspirants will also receive an age relaxation of 5 years on the upper age limit.
Note: Aspirants of SC/ST/OBC/Ex-servicemen quota will receive cumulative reservation benefits on upper age limit if eligible. To claim any reservation the certificate signed by the accepted government authorities must be obtained. The valid certificate will be accepted and the background verification for all information will be done.
IES Eligibility- Educational Qualification
The educational qualification IES Criteria as defined for the UPSC requires the participant to have completed one of the following criteria:
- obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from such Foreign University/ College/ Institution and the certificate is valued as equivalent to the degree received in India.
- passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India).
- should have completed section A and B from the Institutions of Engineers (India).
- must possess a degree in Engineering from a recognised institute with the at least percentage need.
- passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November 1959.
- passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India.
IES Education Criteria has following exceptions:
- If aspirant has completed UPSC IES and has not received the result of the final examination will be admitted only if he/she furnishes the final mark sheet during the UPSC selection procedure.
- The aspirant who has completed UPSC IES exam but has received a degree from a foreign university which is not accepted as equivalent to the Indian education standards may get selected. The selection, in this case, is dependent on UPSC selection committee choice.
- If an aspirant does not have an engineering degree but has completed IES exam will also be selected for the post if the degree is considered equivalent to standards of the engineering degree.
IES Eligibility- Medical Examination Standards
- The standards are to be completed by all aspirants irrespective of their earlier appearance for the examination.
- The procedure requires the participant undergo a series of physical fitness test.
- All aspirants irrespective of IES reservation criteria have to undergo a medical examination.
- The medical examination defined by UPSC will be organizeed at the different Railway hospitals.
- Aspirants who are established unfit will be disqualified from the further process.
Details of Zonal Railway Hospitals
|Zone full||Hospital Name||Hospital Adress|
|Central Railways||B.A.M. Hospital||Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar Railway Hospital, Byculla, Mumbai- 400027|
|Eastern Railway||B.R. Singh Hospital||B.R. Singh Hospital, Seldah, Kolkata- 700001|
|East Central Railway||Central Hospital||EC Railway, Karbhigahiya, Patna- 803118|
|East Coast Railway||Central Hospital||Mancheswar, Bhubaneswar-75017|
|Northern Railway||Central Hospital||Basant Lane, Chelmsford Road, Connaught Place, Delhi- 110001|
|North Central Railway||Central Hospital||Allahabad- 211001|
|North Eastern Railway||LNMR Hospital||Lalit Narayan Mishra Hospital, Gorakhpur-273012|
|North East Frontier Railway||Central Hospital||Maligaon, Guwahati- 781011|
|North Western Railway||Central Hospital||Ganpati Nagar, Near Jaipur Railway Station, Jaipur- 302006|
|Southern Railway||Central Hospital||Constable Road, Ayanavaram, Perambur, Chennai- 600209|
|South Central Railway||Central Hospital||Lalaguda Railway Colony, Secunderabad- 500003|
|South Eastern Railway||Central Hospital||Garden Access Road, Kolkata- 700043|
|South East Central Railway||Central Hospital||Bilaspur- 495004|
|South Western Railway||Central Hospital||Gadag Road, Hubli- 580023|
|Western Railway||J.R.H. Hospital||Jagjivan Ram Hospital, Maratha Mandir Marg, Mumbai Central, Mumbai- 400001|
|West Central Railway||Central Hospital||Indira Market, Jabalpur- 482001|
Other Instructions concerned with medical examinations:
- Aspirants belonging to PwD category must carry their Disability Certificate in original as per the pattern prescribed along with an additional photocopy of the same.
- Aspirants need to carry three sets of form for Medical Board Report 2018 to be downloaded from the official website of Indian Railways.
- One must carry a valid government allotted Photo ID card and three passport size photograph with them.
- Medical examination schedule, venue and the final status of aspirant will be uploaded on the official website of Indian Railways (www.indianrailways.gov.in).
Check Posts/ Services appropriate for PwD aspirants