TOEFL 2018 Registration, exam dates, preparation, Result
Last Updated -
June 25 2018
Test of English as a foreign language (TOEFL) is a standardized international test performed to assess the level of fluency in English of non-native speakers. It is designed and managed by Education Training Service, Princeton.
The test is conducted both online and offline more than 50 times a year, depending on the country and region. The TOEFL score (valid for 2 years) is accepted by more than 10,000 institutions, universities and agencies in 130 countries.
- The registration for the chosen TOEFL date must be done at least one month before the first registration deadline. This will give you enough time to work on your applications. In case you need to retake the exam, you can do it 12 days after the first attempt.
- The TOEFL registration fee varies from one region to another. The rate can range from $ 160 - $ 250.
- The duration of the exam is 4 hours. It is divided into 4 sections - Read, listen, speak and write.
TOEFL 2018 Highlights Table
|Exam name||Test of English as a foreign language|
|Organizer||Educational Testing Service (ETS)|
|Exam mode||Internet based and paper based|
|TOEFL iBT charge||$ 160 - $ 250|
|TOEFL PBT||$ 180|
|Knowledge of English to the test||read, listen, speak and write|
|Score range||from 0 to 30 for each section|
|TOEFL Test Centers||4500 in the world|
|TOEFL Helpline||1-609-771-7100 | 1-877-863-3546|
Famous questions about TOEFL
What is the TOEFL exam mode?
- The maximum number of candidates (around 98%) takes TOEFL iBT. This is a patterno most desired by universities as it evaluates 4 main skills of the English language: reading, listening, speaking and writing.
- TOEFL is available in two patters: one that is delivered through the Internet (iBT) and another that is a paper test.
- Candidates who do not have access to Internet services can take the revised TOEFL "delivered on paper". There is no "speech section" in this mode.
Who takes the TOEFL test?
Anyone who wants to demonstrate or test their proficiency level in English take TOEFL. More than 30 million people around the world have taken TOEFL to date.
Why choose TOEFL over other exams?
TOEFL is preferable to other tests that assess English language proficiency because:
- It is the fairest and most impartial test for the stated purpose
- Measure more accurately the level of English proficiency of candidates
- It is the most accepted test in the world
- It can be tried frequently and conveniently.
Who accepts the TOEFL scores?
More than 10,000 universities and faculties in more than 130 countries accept the TOEFL test scores. The following agencies and institutions also rely on the TOEFL score:
- People use them to measure their progress in learning English.
- It is used by the Immigration department to issue residential and work visas.
- The medical and licensing agencies use it for professional certification purposes.
What resources are available for TOEFL preparation?
ETS offers a variety of materials and sample questions for free to help you prepare for the TOEFL test on paper delivered.
You can also use free materials or payments designed for the TOEFL iBT test easily available both online and offline.
Is there a scholarship for TOEFL?
- ETS launched the 'TOEFL Scholarships and Giving' program to help students finance their projects in India. The maximum amount of the scholarship for each student is INR 4,56,890 or $ 7,000.
- Candidates can consult about other ETS scholarships at firstname.lastname@example.org
- ETS has won scholarships to meritorious candidates in Kores, Japan, Taiwan and China in the past.
- ETS offers a number of Scholarships and Awards for candidates deserving of various research programs organized by it.
Eligibility Criteria for TOEFL 2018
- Any student who is planning to pursue higher education in another country where the native language is English can submit an application.
- Candidates must possess a valid passport to present proof of identity.
- Candidates under the age of 15 must be accompanied by their parents to complete the paperwork at the examination center.
- There are no official eligibility criteria for TOEFL established by ETS. TOEFL is open to all candidates.
- There is no age limit to appear for the test.
How to register for TOEFL?
TOEFL Registration can be done in three ways: by mail, by phone or online. The application is open throughout the year.
Online TOEFL application
- Visit the official website, ie, ets.org/toefl
- Click on "Register now"
- Choose the option to "Register"
- Fill in the requested information such as Name, Sex, Address, Phone number, Email ID, etc.
- The information provided must be the same as that mentioned in the passport
- Review the information and click Confirm.
- After logging in, click on "Register for a test".
- Fill in the required information.
- Click on confirm and pay the application fee.
TOEFL Registration by phone
- Visit www.ets.org/toefl/contact to find the Regional Registration Center (RRC) contact number.
- Payment of the registration fee can be made using a credit card, debit card or an electronic check.
- Registration will end one week before the exam date.
- Late registration with a fine of $ 40 can be made until 5 pm local testing center time on the business day prior to the test.
TOEFL registration by mail
- The candidate must download and complete the TOEFL registration form.
- There are certain codes that the candidate must complete manually in the form. These codes can be found on the official website.
- The choice of the payment option can be made from those mentioned in the form.
- Candidates must mail the completed form and payment to the RRC and must reach them at least four weeks before the exam date.
- In the event that a candidate does not receive confirmation, they must call the RRC at least three business days before the deadline for registration.
TOEFL exam fee
- The cost of TOEFL iBT registration can range between $ 160 and $ 250 depending on the region.
- Exam fee for TOEFL PBT is $ 180 worldwide.
- Candidates can remit the rate through debit / credit card, electronic check (for US and their territories), PayPal account, paper checks (personal checks on paper, checks in euros and checks in Canadian dollars) and Western-Union Quick Pay.
- In the event that a candidate opts for late registration, he will be required to pay an additional amount of US $ 40 , as a late fee.
- Registration closes 7 days before the date of the test.
- Mac users: the TOEFL registration system is not compatible with Safari. You must use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- Late enrollment closes 4 days before the exam date and has a late fee surcharge of $ 40.
- Windows users: use Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with the Windows 7 operating system or higher. Exam dates
TOEFL exam centers 2018
TOEFL takes place at 4500+ centers in more than 130 countries worldwide . In most of the region TOEFL iBT is carried out. The two modes of the exam: iBT and PBT are carried out depending on the region. TOEFL PBT is carried out in numerous regions in 45 countries where Internet connectivity is not available.
In most countries, TOEFL is carried out as an Internet-based test. Candidates must register for the same following the procedure mentioned above. The list of regions of the countries where the test will take place is available on the official website ets.org/toeflcountries that have
|Angola||Benguela, Luanda||Equatorial Guinea||Malabo||Niger||Niamey|
|Barbados||St.Michael||Ethiopia||Addis Ababa||Papua New Guinea||Papua|
|Belize||Belize City||Fiji||Rise||Sierra Leone||Freetown|
|Bhutan||Thimpu||Gaza Strip||Loop||South Africa City||Cape|
|Brunei Darusalam||Brunei||Iraq||Baghdad, Basra||South Sudan||Juba|
|Burkina||Ouagadougou||Kazakhstan||Aktobe, Kyzylorda, Astana, Karaganda, Pavlodar, Semey, Kostanay||Sudan||Khartoum|
|Representative of Africa||Central Bagui||Madagascar||Antananrivo||Tanzania||Moshi|
|Comoros||Moroni||Marshal Island||Ebeye, Majuro||Tonga||Tongatapu|
|Congo-Drc||Bukavu, Kinshasa, city of Goma, Lubumbashi||Micronesia||Chuuk, Kosrae, Kolonia, Yap||Turkmenistan||Ashgabat|
TOEFL 2018 Exam Pattern
- The test has four main sections: reading, listening, speaking and writing.
- TOEFL is an Internet-based test and a paper test.
- The different test sections are shown below.
TOEFL iBT test pattern
|Section||Description||Duration (in minutes)|
|Reading||of 3-5 passages, each with 12-14 questions||60-80 minutes|
|Hear||6-9 passages, each with 5-6 questions||60-90 minutes|
|Break||mandatory rest||10 minutes|
|Speaking||6 tasks||20 minutes|
|to write||2 tasks||50 minutes|
- The Writing section will require candidates to listen to or read topics and write essays on those topics.
- The reading section will consist of approximately four passages and questions on academic subjects.
- There will be no negative mark on the TOEFL test according to the TOEFL test pattern.
- The Understanding section will include the short audio pieces that will be played and the candidate will have to answer the questions presented after listening to them.
TOEFL paper delivery test pattern
The TOEFL Paper-Delivery test is organized in regions without an Internet connection. The pattern followed in the written exam is as follows:
- Listening - 30 - 40 minutes
- The last part asks 12 questions about conferences or talks.
- The first contains 30 questions about short conversations.
- The second part has 8 questions about longer conversations.
- The Listening section consists of 3 parts.
- Structure and written expression - 25 minutes
- Structure and Written Expression section have 15 exercises to complete sentences and 25 to identify mistakeses.
- Reading comprehension - 55 minutes
- Reading Comprehension sections have 50 questions in a variable number of passages.
- Writing: 30 minutes
- Written English Test (TWE) is a 250-300 word essay question
TOEFL Result 2018
- To download your score report, log in using your ETD ID number and click on "View scores."
- Your scores are also sent to the institutions or agencies you selected (and to you, if you requested a hard copy before taking the test).
- Test scores are reported online within 10 days of the test date.
- On the TOEFL iBT website, you will find a timeline for publishing the score report (PDF) for each test date, and you will receive an email that will inform you when your scores were uploaded.
- You can also download and print a PDF copy of your test score report. The PDF will be available within 3 days after the date your scores were posted online.
TOEFL scoring system
- The speaking section has a total of six tasks and each of these has a rating of 0 to 4.
- The Writing section has two tasks that are classified from 0 to 5 and in the previous sections
- TOEFL iBT is classified in a range of 0-120, while TOEFL PBT is classified in a range of 310-677.
- The sum of all the combined tasks is scaled in the range from 0 to 30.
- The reading and the listening section are marked by a computer and the assigned grade range is from 0 to 30.
- The sum of the score is scaled so that it falls in the range from 0 to 30.
The TOEFLScores distribution for all sections is as follows: TOEFLScores distribution for all sections is as follows:
|SCORE OF||THE SECTION||LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE|
|Reading||0-30||A score of 22 to 30: High level score A from 15 to 21: intermediate level A score from 0 to 14: low level|
|Listening||0-30||A score of 22 to 30: high level score A from 15 to 21: intermediate level score A from 0 to 14: low level|
|Speaking of||0-30||A score of 26 to 30: Good score of level A from 18 to 25: acceptable level A score of 10 to 17: limited level A score of 0 to 9: weak level|
|to write||0-30||A score of 24 to 30: good A level score from 17 to 23: fair level A score from 1 to 16: limited level|
Overall TOEFL score and the level of experience it represents:
|TOEFL iBT Score||TOEFL PBT Score||Level of Experience|
|118-120||≥ 645||Expert user|
|115-117||626 - 644||Very good user|
|110-114||610 - 625|
|102-109||581 - 609||Good user|
|94-101||560 - 580|
|79-93||546 - 559||Competent user|
|60-78||530 - 545|
|42-59||516 - 529||Modest user|
|32-34||450 - 489||Limited user|
|0-31||400 - 449||Extremely limited / intermittent / No user|
TOEFL test takers with disabilities or health-related needs (h3)
ETS provides special assistance and / or accommodation to TOEFL test takers with disabilities or health-related problems. Any candidate with such needs can be sent in an application to make use of these facilities at email@example.com.
Accommodation provided by ETS
- Kensington Trackball Mouse
- Ergonomic keyboard
- IntelliKeys® keyboard
- Increase of the screen
- Selectable background and foreground colors
- Keyboard with touch screen
- Writer / writer of answers
- Oral interpreter only for spoken instructions
- Sign language interpreter only for spoken instructions
- Test reader
- Oral interpreter only for Listening section
- Regular printed version of the test
- Speech section omitted
- Audio version of the test
- Test in Braille with reader script
- Extended test time
- Large print version of the proof
- Transcriptions of audio elements in the speech and writing sections
- Script version of the test reader
- Braille test (in Braille contracted or not contracted)
- Listening section omitted
- Additional breaks
If you are not sure if the accommodation you need is available, you should contact ETS Disability Services and request the care you need.
Share on Whatsapp