NEST Exam Pattern 2018
Last Updated -
February 13 2018
NEST 2018 Exam Format will be decided by National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) and all details will be published on the official site.
- NEST syllabus contains 11th and 12th-grade level Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology.
- Each section in the question paper is of 50 marks except General Aptitude which consists of 30 marks.
- The five sections in the NEST 2018 paper are- General Aptitude, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology.
- Only the three sections with highest scores are considered for merit calculation.
- Aspirants have the freedom to choose any one of the four sections- Mathematics, Biology, Physics, and Chemistry
- There is no fixed syllabus for the General Aptitude section.
- NEST 2018 question paper will contain only Multiple-Choice Questions.
- The question paper consists of five sections.
- Section one of General Aptitude is compulsory for all the students.
- Maximum marks an aspirant can score are 180 marks.
NEST is the famous name for National Entrance Screening Test organized by National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) and University of Mumbai-Department of Atomic Energy Center for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CEBS) for admission into postgraduate science courses.
NEST 2018 Exam Format Highlights Table
The table given below gives us an idea about the NEST examination.
|Exam Format Highlights|
|Name of the exam||NEST 2018|
|Method of the exam||Pen and Paper based (offline) exam|
|Number of Papers||1|
|Number of Sections||5|
|Name of the Subjects||General Ability, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and Biology|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (objective type)|
|Number of Questions||230 (180 marks –Maximum)|
|Period of the exam||180 Minutes (3 hours)|
|Language of the exam||English|
NEST Exam Format 2018 Details
The sections on NEST question paper have various weight. Let’s look at the paper details:
|Section||Number of questions|
Questions in the NEST Exam are designed to check the analytic and understanding ability of the aspirant in a subject.
Marking Scheme for NEST 2018
Marking scheme of NEST 2018 differs according to the sections. Also, it depends on the type of questions.
- The Number of questions changes every year for NEST exam.
- All other subject sections- Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology have negative marking.
- Section 1-General Ability has no negative marking. No marks are deducted for any wrong response.
- The exam website says that-Some questions may have one or more accurate responses for which marks can only be acquired by marking all accurate responses and no wrong response.
Syllabus for NEST 2018
There are five subjects to focus on for NEST 2018- General Ability, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Chemistry. Detailed syllabus for each subject is given below.
NEST 2018 Syllabus of General Ability:
- There can be questions about the history of Science and Mathematics.
- Passage type science questions are also there.
- This section contains random questions from History, Geography, Science, Mathematics, English, General Knowledge, and Present Affairs.
- It may comprise Class X mathematical ability.
- There is no specific syllabus prescribed for General Ability Section.
NEST 2018 Physics Syllabus
- Mechanics: Projectiles. Uniform circular motion. Relative velocity. Newton’s laws of motion. Inertial and uniformly accelerated (linear only) frames of reference, Kinetic, and potential energy, Impulse, Systems of particles, Kinematics in one and two dimensions (Cartesian coordinates only).
- Thermal physics: Blackbody radiation - absorptive and emissive powers, liquids and gases. Calorimetric Problems, Stefan’s law, latent heat. Heat organization in one dimension, Newton’s law of cooling.
- Fluids: Rigid body, Stoke’s and Poiseuille’s law, Reynolds number, Buoyancy, Surface energy and surface tension. A pressure in a fluid, Dynamics of rigid bodies with fixed axis of rotation, Pascal’s law, capillary rise. Viscosity –Terminal velocity, Bernoulli’s theorem, Qualitative understanding of turbulence, Streamline flow, the equation of continuity.
- Sound: Longitudinal and transverse waves, Resonance (qualitative understanding), superposition of waves. Improvmentsive and stationary waves, Plane wave motion, Beats, Vibration of strings and air columns, Speed of sound in gases, Doppler Effect.
- General: Dimensional analysis, Units, and dimensions, significant figures, least count, measurement of length, time, mass, temperature, potential difference, Methods of measurement (Direct, Indirect, Null), present and resistance.
- Rotational Dynamics: Moment of inertia, the moment of inertia of uniform bodies with simple geometrical shapes. Angular momentum, Torque, Equilibrium of rigid bodies, parallel and perpendicular axes theorems, Young’s modulus.
|12th Standard topics at a glance|
|Electromagnetic Induction||Modern Physics||X Rays|
|Ray Optics||Wave Optics||Semiorganizeors|
NEST 2018 Mathematics Syllabus
- Quadratic equations with real coefficients, Logarithms, and their properties, computation of the probability of events using permutations and combinations, the pattern of quadratic equations with given roots, relations between roots and coefficients solutions of simultaneous linear equations in two or three variables, symmetric functions of roots.
- Matrices as a rectangular array of real numbers, equality of matrices, addition, multiplication by a scalar and product of matrices, transpose of a matrix, determinant of a square matrix of order up to three.
- Binomial theorem for the positive integral index, properties of binomial coefficients.
- Algebra: Algebra of complex numbers, addition, multiplication, conjugation, polar representation, properties of modulus and principal argument, triangle inequality, cube roots of unity, geometric interpretations.
- Arithmetic, Permutations, and combinations, geometric and harmonic progressions, arithmetic, geometric and harmonic means, sums of finite arithmetic and geometric progressions, infinite geometric series.
- Probability: Addition and multiplication rules of probability, conditional probability, Bayes Theorem, symmetric and skew-symmetric matrices and their properties, independence of events.
NEST 2018 Chemistry Syllabus
|Mole Concept||Atomic Structure||Chemical Bonding|
|Thermodynamics||Chemical Kinetics||Solid State|
|Hydrogen Element||Periodic Table||s-block Elements|
|p-block Elements||d-block Elements||f-block Elements|
|Coordination Compounds||Metallurgy||Metals and Non-Metals|
NEST 2018 Organic Chemistry Syllabus
- Alkenes and Alkynes: Acid-catalyzed hydration of alkenes and alkynes (excluding the stereochemistry), Ozonolysis, Markownikoff rule, Reduction of alkenes and alkynes, Addition reactions of alkynes, Isomerization.
- Isomerism: Geometrical isomerism, Racemic mixture, Chirality Structural and stereoisomerism, Conformations of ethane and butane (Newman projections), Optical isomerism of compounds.
- Haloalkanes (Alkyl halides): Alcohols, Halogen exchange reaction, olefins, Nucleophilic substitution reactions of alkyl halides with various nucleophilic species, Grignard reagent, and its reaction.
- Hybridisations of carbon, hyperconjugation, Sigma and pi-bonds, Representation of organic compounds, Shapes of simple organic molecules, electromeric effect, resonance effect, Inductive effect, Determination of empirical and molecular formulae.
- Reactive intermediates: structure and stability of - carbocation, carbanion and free radical, Pattern, Homolytic and heterolytic bond cleavages.
- Aromatic compounds: Friedel-Crafts alkylation and acylation (No mechanism) Huckel theory of aromaticity, Aromaticity, Structure of benzene, Isomerism in substituted benzenes.
- Alkanes: Wurtz reaction, Preparation, Combustion and halogenation of alkanes, properties and reactions, Idea of homologous series, Mechanism of photo-halogenation.
- Nomenclature: IUPAC of only hydrocarbons, monofunctional and bi-functional compounds, including benzene derivatives, IUPAC nomenclature of simple organic compounds.
NEST 2018 Biology Syllabus
|Biotechnology||Humans and Environment||Genetics|
|Evolution||Biology of Animal Systems||Reproduction|
|Ecology||Biology of Plant Systems||Anatomy|
|Human Health and Diseases||Ecosystems||Physiology|
Preparation Books for NEST 2018
Here are some preparation books for aspirants appearing for NEST 2018
|1.||Problems in Physics||A.A Pinsky|
|2.||Exercise Problems in Physics for Engineering and Medical Entrance Exams||S. Mishra|
|3.||An Objective Approach to Organic Chemistry||R.K. Gupta|
|4.||Higher Algebra||Hall and Knight|
NEST 2018 Important Exam Day Instructions
The following instructions may be helpful for aspirants on exam day:
Share on Whatsapp
- Hand it over to examiner after completion of the test.
- Use of Pencil is debarred on the OMR.
- Read the instructions on the first page of the NEST 2018 question paper.
- Aspirants have to darken the bubble properly.
- Writing or stray marking is not allowed, neither on question paper nor the OMR.
- Use only black or blue ballpoint pen to mark the responses.
- All the responses are to be marked on the OMR sheet.
- Do not fold or damage the OMR Sheet.