How to prepare for IBPS PO Mains 2018 Descriptive Paper
Last Updated -
February 28 2018
The main exam for IBPS PO is scheduled for November 18, 2018. This exam is responsible for appointing probationary officers in public sector banks. Hence, it is essential to score well in this section. Apart from the objective paper, IBPS has also introduced an English descriptive paper that will carry 25 marks. The marks scored in this section will be added to the final score of IBPS PO.
Since this is a new addition to the question paper, aspirants must be aware of the type of questions asked in this section to score well. As per the traditional IBPS PO exam format, there are 4 sections in the objective paper.
- English Language
- Data Analysis & Interpretation
- Reasoning & Computer Aptitude
- General/ Economy/ Banking Awareness
IBPS PO Mains Preparation tips for descriptive paper
Aspirants need to clear the paper in 30 minutes. This section carries 25 marks and contains 2 questions. One must not neglect the descriptive section as it is very important & carries significant weight which can lead to your selection in the appointment procedure for IBPS PO.
The two questions are:
- Letter writing- 10 marks
- Essay writing- 15 marks
2 reasons why the Descriptive Paper in IBPS PO Mains is easier than you think
- Content is the master key- This paper requires the knowledge of present affairs, GK, statistical data, factual information etc. The way you current your content will determine your score.
- Questions are known- This part is not clearly unknown to the aspirants because they know the number and type of questions asked. So, they can easily response all the questions based on recent topics & general knowledge.
IBPS PO Mains Letter Writing
Letters can be asked in the form of business or individual letters. When a letter is addressed to near & dear ones then it is an individual letter. A letter written for official purposes is a business letter. Therefore, it is essential to know the pattern of both letters.
Important parts that required to be comprised of both the types of letters:
- Subject (in the formal letter)
- Content of letter (preferably in 3 paragraphs)
- Writers name & designation
- Complimentary closing
Important tips for Letter Writing
- Mentioning the date is important
- State the purpose of your letter in the body text.
- It is advised to write XYZ or ABC while writing the letter instead of writing your name.
- Information should be conveyed in the right way.
- Active Voice should be followed.
- In the informal letter, you do not require to introduce yourself whereas in the formal letter introduction is the need.
- One paragraph should explain the subject in detail.
- Rules like a complimentary closing of the formal letter should be followed. If you know the name of the addressee, start the informal letter with “Dear” etc.
- You must comprise address & email in the letter address.
IBPS PO Mains Essay Writing
An essay should be structured with the following attitude:
- Negatives should be presented cautiously.
- Introduction- Background & History of the subject should be comprised
- There should be positivity in the body of the letter; advantages should be there.
- About- Details & theory of the subject should be comprised.
Important tips for Essay writing
- Strong opinions should be given instead of suggestions.
- Start writing small paragraphs daily to improve vocabulary.
- Your writing should not have a prejudiced view of the issue at hand.
- Choose the subject which is familiar to you.
- Take time to choose the subject.
Exercise is the key. Rigorous exercise will reduce your chances of making mistakes in the exam. It is recommended to exercise writing in MS Word so that your typing speed increases. This will give you an edge over other aspirants in the exam and it will also help in time management.
Share on Whatsapp