How to Crack PSU Interviews PSU Through GATE 2018
Last Updated -
March 23 2018
GATE 2018 is scheduled for February 03, 04, 10 and 11, 2018 in multiple sessions. After the declaration of GATE Result, qualified aspirants can apply for PSU Appointment.
- You also required to go via the PSU website and jot down some important projects, board members name and CSR projects, etc that might help you in the introduction part
- More than 43 PSUs release the appointment of graduate engineers on the basis of their GATE Score every year.
- Most of the questions in PSU interviews are based on theory, thus aspirants need to focus on theory area.
- Apart from having the requisite GATE scores, aspirants required to prepare for a host of other things while attending the PSU Interviews.
- PSU Appointment via GATE is two-stage procedure namely GATE score and interview round.
In recent times most of the PSUs and some of the big core companies have started appointing based on GATE score. PSUs offer jobs in core research fields, that is perfect for aspirants from that particular field.
Things to Keep in Mind at the Time of Interview
In PSU interview the highest weightage is given to GATE score (around 85%) and around 5% weightage to group discussion and group task and 10% weightage to an individual interview. It is to be noted that most of the PSUs appointing via GATE Scores will call around four to five times the actual vacancies; sometimes even more. It is crucial for every candidate to give his/her best shot.
There are few general things that the aspirant must take care of before appearing for an Interview:-
- If there is a service bond, the aspirant should understand that and ask a senior or faculty, family members before saying yes to the company. The service bond is an important legal binding contract that mentions the number of years an aspirant has to compulsorily work for the stated company.
- The aspirant should be well revised with the B.Tech project they did i.e. they must have a basic knowledge of subject, scope, methodology and conclusion of the project. Questions can be asked based on these topics in an interview.
- The aspirant should check the HR Policy for the company. They should know the details of the pay scale provideed to the designation advertised for.
- The aspirant should concentrate on making a good resume and put it while applying and during the interview procedure. It is important for aspirants to not to falsify stuff, achievements in the resume as they could lead to questions.
- Wear Formals on the day of Interview and be prepared for a day-long event.
- The aspirant should be prepared with the company profile as to what sectors the company is involved in, its performance.
Check List for PSU Interviews 2018
- Make sure that a copy of the PSU Application Form, GATE 2018 Hall Ticket in original, GATE Score Card is with you.
- To be on the safe side, Aspirant should always carry a valid photo ID and some photographs similar to ones posted in the GATE Application Form.
- The aspirant should make sure that all their certificates in original are in place.
- The aspirant should make sure they are impeccably groomed. This matters and goes to show aspirants in a good light.
- Participants should also ensure that he/she do look like their GATE 2018 Application Form photograph. Changing appearance in any attitude that is various from the photograph is not recommended,
What to Prepare for PSU Interviews
- The aspirant should prepare from their B.Tech branch in general.
- Some toppers suggest to know about Industrial Training but that is up to the aspirant and not mandatory.
- The aspirant should be aware of the presentation topics and General Knowledge. This will come handy for the group discussion as well as some questions that may be asked to test your grasp of the world in general.
- The aspirant should be prepared for tricky questions such as “Why should you be selected?” or “Why do you seeking to join this company?”
- The aspirant should also go to the PSU website and jot down some important projects, board members name and CSR projects, etc
- The aspirant should choose minimum two topics from their B.Tech specialization in which they are interested. Make sure that they have a sound knowledge of these topics and why these like these topics.
Read More PSU Cut off
Guidelines During the Interview
- The panel will look for smart personals. So an aspirant should think before they respond.
- If the aspirant disagrees on any point, he/she should put the disagreement across in a very polite attitude. Do not show aggressiveness in any attitude.
- Group Discussions are meant to check whether an aspirant is a team player and his/her knowledge about Present Affairs. The aspirant should make sure that he/she come across as a team player.
- The aspirant should be respectful.
- If an aspirant is doubtful of the response, tell the panel that he/she think this is the response but they have some reservations about it.
- While entering the interview room, Aspirant should make sure to wish everyone on the panel politely.
The pattern of PSU via GATE Interviews 2018
Some of the PSUs ask basic questions of nearly same format/topics in the most interview. Mentioned below are few companies and type of questions they focus on:-
- PGCIL: PGCIL’s Interview is basically focussed on candidates B.Tech branch.
- DMRC: Questions for the Interview are mostly from Regenerative Braking, Carbon Credits and Power System Protection.
- ONGC: Learn about important oil wells and their location. Questions for the Interview are mostly based on Posting Location; Why to choose ONGC and not other PSU’s. Not many technical questions will be asked in ONGC interview.
- IOCL: Questions for the Interview are mostly from Artificial Intelligence, Efficiency of the boiler, Refinery of IOCL and from aspirants’ B.Tech Branch.
- National Thermal Power Corporation: Aspirant should learn about Thermal Power plants, Various components of Thermal Power plant and their efficiency.
- BARC: Aspirant should prepare minimum five subjects from his/her graduation course, as they mostly ask candidates to name their 5 favourite subjects and then ask questions from those subjects only. BARC ask very basics questions at first, then increase their level of questions.
- HPCL: selects an aspirant purely on the basis of Interview. Aspirants’ GATE score will not play any role in selection. Some of the questions asked are: Why do you seeking to Join HPCL ?; What is Umbrella Pact between Germany and India; CSR activities of HPCL.
Share on Whatsapp