GMAT 2018: Registration, Paper model, course
Last Updated -
June 04 2018
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is conducted by GMAC for admission to about 5,400 management courses at various business schools around the world. The GMAT exam takes place in 600 centers in 114 countries around the world.
GMAT registration is open throughout the year. The provision to appear for the exam depends on the availability of exams and examination centers. More than 200,000 candidates take GMAT every year. The GMAT application fee is USD 250.
- The GMAT Score and Percentile scores are calculated for the four sections. The score is released approximately after three weeks of testing.
- The average grade of the test accepted by the MBA university abroad is between 650-790.
- There are 4 sections in GMAT, such as the Analytical Writing Assessment, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative and Verbal Section.
- GMAT is a computer adaptive test with a total of 91 questions, which must be completed in 3.5 hours.
GMAT 2018: Latest updates
- GMAT can be taken up to five times in a 12-month period, with each trial at least 16 days apart.
- GMAC eliminated the profile update questions on the day of the test.
- GMAC recently launched 'Select section order'. This feature allows candidates the flexibility to customize their GMAT experience by choosing the order of the sections in which they feel most comfortable taking the test.
What is GMAT?
GMAT is an online test conducted for admissions in various management programs offered by B-Schools around the world. The exam evaluates the analytical, writing, quantitative, verbal and reading skills of a candidate in English to be used for the indicated purpose.
Why apply for GMAT?
GMAT offers the following benefits:
- Relevant - for you, your candidates and your future
- Safe use of the most advanced technology
- Reliable and available around the world
- Accurate- For exact games from student to the program
- Unparalleled experience - backed up by the people of peer-reviewed research
- Consistent - in time and around the world
What is a computer adaptive test?
An adaptive test is one that conforms to the level of a candidate's ability. The level of difficulty of the next questions increases or decreases according to the candidates' performance in the previous questions. At the beginning of the test, a candidate is presented with questions of average difficulty. If a candidate answers the questions incorrectly, the level of difficulty decreases. If a candidate gets most of the correct questions, then the difficulty level of the following questions increases. This process continues until all the questions in each section are tried.
Since the following question is generated based on the candidate's performance in the current question (s), no previous question can be consulted again. It is mandatory to answer each question to move on to the next question.
What is the executive assessment exam?
GMAC has recently introduced a new Mini GMAT called Executive Assessment Exam for Executive MBA course. The exam is of the shorter duration than the regular GMAT. This exam is designed for candidates willing to follow E-MBA. Its objective is to evaluate the suitability of candidates for the E-MBA course. The test is designed to examine the analytical and logical thinking skills of exams.
How much does it cost to take GMAT?
Taking a GMAT exam costs US$ 250 worldwide. If any candidate wishes to reschedule the exam, they must pay an additional fee of US $ 50. The GMAT cancellation fee isUS $ 80
What is the difference between GMAT and GRE?
GMAT is the standardized test for leading business schools around the world. Similar to the GRE, the exam consists of a Verbal and Quantitative section.
Unlike GRE, the two sections combine to give a composite score of 800.
GMAT cannot be used in place of the GRE, therefore, unless a candidate is sure to go to a business school, he or she is advised not to take the GMAT test.
What is the evaluation of percentile v / s marks in GMAT?
The following table will help you to know the GMAT marks against the percentile:
GMAT 2018 Eligibility Criteria
There are certain eligibility criteria that must be met to apply for the GMAT. The same is given below: certain eligibility criteria that must be met to apply for the GMAT. The same is given below:
- Academic Qualification- A qualified degree from a recognized institute. The academic qualification criteria required vary for all the applicant institutes.
- Candidates must wait at least five years to take the GMAT test again if the GMAT score is above a perfect score of 800.
- Nationality: there is no restriction with respect to the nationality of the applicant.
- The number of attempts: Candidates can apply for the GMAT exam to the maximum of 5 times in a year.
- Age limit: Candidates applying for the GMAT exam must be at least 18 years of age. In case the age of a candidate varies between 13-17 years, you must submit a written voucher of the guardian's consent to take the GMAT exam.
- Retaking the GMAT: candidates must wait a minimum of 16 days before retaking the exam.
Read more about the GMAT Eligibility Criteria
GMAT 2018 registration
- Candidates who aspire to take the GMAT can register at any time of the year.
- It is advisable that candidates design an appropriate schedule before registering for the exam.
- The GMAT registration process is accessible both online and offline.
How to register for GMAT?
- The first step is to create an account with GMAC on the official GMAT website.
- Once the account is created, candidates can choose any of the following GMAT 2018 records. The same modes are available to reprogram or cancel the GMAT test:
- Online at the official GMAT website: the candidate can register directly on the official GMAT website
- Through postal mail: if the candidate pays by check or money order, this is the only option to register and schedule the GMAT exam.
- Through telephone: this can be done by calling GMAT Customer Service in your region with an additional fee of US $ 10.
How to schedule the GMAT exam?
- Visit the official GMAT website, mba.com.
- Click on 'Schedule to GMAT exam'
- Enter the requested details and Create GMAT user account
- Provide personal details and academic qualification
- The next step is to choose "test date and test location".
- Publish the entire process mentioned above, the candidates have to pay a fee of US $ 250.
Candidates who opt for telephone registration can contact the following address according to their region
Regional communication address
Region of the Americas
Telephone (toll-free): +1 (800) 717-GMAT (4628), from 7:00 am Telephone CT: +1 (952) 681-3680, from 7:00 am CT Fax: +1 (952) 681 -3681 at 7:00 p.m. at 7:00 p.m.
Asia Pacific Region
Phone: +852 3077 4926, from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm AEST in India: +91 120-439-7830, from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Indian Standard Time Fax: 6038319 1092
China Region Telephone: 86-10-8234-5675, from 9:00 a.m. China Standard Time Fax: 86-10-61957800 at 5:00 p.m.
Phone: +44 (0) 161 855 7219, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm GMT Fax: +44 (0) 161 855 7301
Worldwide, the cost of taking GMAT is US $ 250. The GMAT rescheduling fee is US $ 50. The GMAT cancellation fee is US $ 80. They are described below: A candidate can pay the GMAT fee through online and offline modes.
- Online payment modes
- Credit and debit cards
- Visa card
- American Express
Note: If a credit or debit card is not accepted, the registration will be automatically canceled and the candidate must schedule another appointment with a valid mode of payment.
- Off-line payment modes of GMAT
- Cashier check
- personal check
- Payment orders
- The payment methods mentioned above must be payable to Pearson VUE-GMAT in US dollars.
- It should be drawn in a US bank. UU
- The amount paid must include the total amount, including all applicable taxes.
- The current date must be mentioned.
- You must have the appropriate signature, the name of the bank and your preprinted address on the front of the check.
- The check must be received at least 10 days before the date of the GMAT exam date.
- In the event that the check is due to insufficient funds in the account, Pearson VUE may incur service fee for the account electronically. In such situation, the appointment will be terminated and the candidate will have to proceed for another GMAT exam schedule.
Reprogram and retake GMAT 2018
GMAC provides candidates with the option to cancel GMAT. For this, a candidate must visit the official website and click cancel the GMAT exam. If the candidates manage to do it within a certain period, the partial rate will be reimbursed from US $ 80.
To cancel your test, follow the steps below:
- Visit the official GMAC website
- Click cancel your GMAT exam
To reschedule the GMAT exam
Candidates can also reschedule their exam following the points mentioned below
- Visit the official website
- Click on 'Reschedule your GMAT exam'
- Enter Login ID and Password.
- In case you are a new user, click on create an account.
- Enter the details: name, surname, email ID and password and click on create a button
To reschedule, candidates must pay the rescheduling fee as follows:
- If you choose the date within 7 calendar days, then you have to pay US $ 250
- If you choose a date with more than 7 calendar dates from the date of the previously scheduled test, you must pay US $ 50. For each rescheduling, candidates must pay this amount.
GMAT test centers
The GMAT exam is offered on demand and throughout the year at the following locations around the world. Check the complete list below:
- Americas - 21 regions
- United States - 46 regions
- Territories of the United States - 4 regions
- American Military - 9 regions
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa - 63 regions
- Asia-Pacific: 22 regions
GMAT 2018 exam pattern
- GMAT is a computer adaptive test.
- There are a total of 91 questions.
- From the quantitative section, 37 questions will be asked and 75 minutes will be given to resolve this section. The questions asked in this section belong to the standard of the 12th class.
- From the section Analytical evaluation of writing, there will be only 1 question and candidates will have 30 minutes to solve it. This section is designed to judge the examinee's ability to analyze and predict the reasons behind a given argument.
- In integrated reasoning, 12 questions will be asked and 30 minutes will be given to solve it.
- There are 4 sections in GMAT: Analytical Writing Assessment, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative and Verbal Section.
- The last section is Verbal, which consists of 41 questions that must be attempted in 75 minutes.
Here are the highlights of the GMAT exam pattern:
|Test section||Number of questions||Allotted time|
|Analytical evaluation of writing||1 theme||30 minutes|
|Integrated reasoning||12 questions||30 minutes|
|Quantitative||37 questions||75 minutes|
|Verbal||41 questions||75 minutes|
|Total time||-||3 hours 30 minute|
GMAT 2018 curriculum
GMAT is the organizing body that formulates the curriculum for the GMAT exam. It is suggested that candidates be thorough with the GMAT curriculum so that they do not get surprises in the document. The topics listed below are at level 10 + 2. There have been no changes in the GMAT curriculum over the years.
|Test section||GMAT Syllabus|
|Analytical Analysis||Argument Analysis Evaluation|
|Integrated reasoning||reasoning from multiple sources, interpretation of graphs, two-part analysis, table analysis|
|quantitative||Sufficiency of data, resolution of problems|
|Verbal||Understanding of verbal reading, critical reasoning, correction of sentences|
The top strategies forget prepared
Before starting GMAT preparation, all necessary resources and GMAT books and materials must be collected. Here are some recommended books and GMAT preparation material:
- GMAT Prep Software: this is free software for candidates who have registered on the official GMAT website. This tool will work as an experimental tool for GMAT examiners, as it uses technology similar to the official exam and provides users with scores after completion. The various features of the GMAT Prep software are:
- Ninety free questions - 30 quantitative reasoning, 45 verbal and 15 integrated reasoning - with answers and explanations
- A comprehensive math review
- Tools to create your own set of practice questions
- Total, verbal, quantitative and integrated GMAT® reasoning scores
- Two long-term practice tests with answers (please note that detailed explanations of the answers are not included)
- A step-by-step guide to preparing for the GMAT exam
- The possibility of extending the GMATPrep® program by purchasing additional questions or exams
GMATPrep is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows: Windows Vista® with SP2; Windows 7® with SP1; Windows 8.1®; Windows 10®
- Mac: OS X v10.9; OS X v10.10; OS X v10.11
- GMAT Prep Timeline: offers a step-by-step guide to your personal study plan and includes several links to suggestions, products and tips to improve your weak areas and improve your strengths.
- New official GMAT Integrated Reasoning preparation tool: this is a tool for candidates to develop their integrated reasoning skills. It is a set of 48 questions and solutions that will be of great help to develop IR skills.
- The Premium Study Collection: this is an official collection of study materials that provides more than 2000 questions from previous GMAT exams presented in multiple patternos. It provides 6 essential study products to decipher the GMAT exam.
- GMAT Focus Online Quantitative Diagnostic Tool - acts as a replica of the original GMAT exam. Presents 12 questions of Data Sufficiency and 12 of Problem Solving for each exam taken. It also provides your strengths and weaknesses and acts as a tool to improve your math skills needed to decipher the GMAT.
- GMAT Writing: This tool provides users with GMAT writing instructions. It helps candidates learn the critical thinking process and analyze an argument. This is an essential skill for a business career and, therefore, must be mastered by candidates for the exam, as well as for a successful career.
- The official guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2018: this tool helps users improve their verbal skills required for the GMAT exam. Provides a set of 300 additional questions from the verbal skills section.
- The Official Guide to GMAT Quantitative Review, 2018: This is a tool to prepare and refine the quantitative skills of candidates who provide 300 questions and their solutions.
- GMAT Basic Studies Collection: is another preparation resource available in the official GMAT store that provides 1500 GMAT questions and answers. Includes all the following study materials:
- The official guide for GMAT® Verbal Review, 2018.
- The official guide for GMAT® Review, 2018
- The official guide for GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2018
GMAT 2018 Score
Candidates who have appeared in GMAT are evaluated according to a scale devised by the organizing body (GMAC). The total GMAT scale varies from 200 to 800 and in an average estimate, two-thirds of the GMAT examiners score from 400 to 600.
GMAT score for each section is detailed below:
- Analytical evaluation of writing- (AWA, 0-6)
- Verbal- (0-60)
- Quantitative- (0-60)
- Integrated Reasoning- (IR, 1-8)
- The GMAT score is available to the examinees and their recipients of the preferred score (schools and institutes) three weeks after the test.
- An unofficial GMAT Score Report can be obtained right after taking the test.
- The unofficial report will include your Quantitative, Verbal, Integrated Reasoning and Total GMAT scores. This score report can be used to determine:
- This report will not contain the AWA score and is not acceptable to schools and organizations.
- If you are eligible for the schools of your choice
- If you want to try the test again.
How to access the GMAT score?
- GMAT score is available on the official GMAT website - mba.com
- Once it is available, it can be accessed at any time of the year by entering the required credentials.
- Candidates will be sent an email to their registered email ID that will include a unique link.
- The email will be received within 20 days after the test.
- They must use the exclusive link to see their official sample of the GMAT score report.
- The email will also include instructions on how to access the official GMAT score report.
Note: In a situation where the candidate cannot access the email with the link, you can contact GMAT Customer Service or the Pearson VUE by phone to get help.
Validity of the GMAT score
Share on Whatsapp
- If a candidate is not satisfied with their GMAT score, they can retake the GMAT test
- Candidates can use their GMAT score for up to 5 years.
- However, a candidate can appear for GMAT for 5 times in just one year, that is, a duration of 12 months.
- The GMAT score can be used to follow an MBA program and get a job, as many recruiting companies use the GMAT score to provide jobs.