GATE Syllabus for CE (Civil Engineering) 2018
Last Updated -
March 22 2018
GATE Syllabus is announced by Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati. It is organizeed for 23 various engineering branches. The syllabus and format are various for each branch.
GATE Civil Engineering syllabus includes 3 sections namely- General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics and Civil Engineering. The weightage of the sections is 13%, 15% and 72% respectively.
- GATE Civil Engineering section comprises the question from seven sections.
- The sections are as follows:
- The exam comprises 2 types of question - Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Numerical Response Type (NAT).
- GATE Syllabus for Civil Engineering mostly covers the graduation level topics.
- Engineering Mathematics
- Structural Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Geomatics Engineering.
- The paper consists of 65 questions worth 100 marks.
- Engineering Mathematics is the most important section. The section carries around 13% weightage of the Civil Engineering section.
GATE is a national level online test which is organizeed for admission to M.Tech/ PhD in the field of engineering and technology. It is organizeed on a rotational basis by zonal IITs and IISc Bangalore.
Syllabus for CE (Civil Engineering) GATE 2018
GATE Syllabus of Civil engineering consists of seven sections namely- Engineering Mathematics, Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Transportation Engineering, and Geomatics Engineering. The detailed syllabus of all sections is mentioned below.
Civil Engineering is a professional engineering branch that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical & naturally built environment, including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings. It is traditionally broken into a number of sub-branches.
GATE 2018 Syllabus CE- Engineering Mathematics
|Linear Algebra||Matrix algebra; Systems of linear equations; Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors.|
|Calculus||Functions of single variable, Limit, continuity and differentiability, Mean value theorems, Evaluation of definite and improper integrals, Partial derivatives, Total derivative, Maxima and minima, Gradient, Divergence and Curl, Vector identities, Directional derivatives, Line, Surface and Volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.|
|Differential equations||First order equations (linear and nonlinear), Higher order linear differential equations with constant coefficients, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and boundary value problems, Laplace transforms, Solutions of one-dimensional heat and wave equations and Laplace equation.|
|Complex variables||Analytic functions, Cauchy’s integral theorem, Taylor and Laurent series.|
|Probability and Statistics||Definitions of probability and sampling theorems, Conditional probability, Mean, median, method and standard deviation, Random variables, Poisson, Normal and Binomial distributions.|
|Numerical Methods||Numerical solutions of linear and nonlinear algebraic equations Integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rule, single and multi-step methods for differential equations.|
Preparation Books for Engineering Mathematics
Engineering Mathematics is the most important section of GATE. This section carries around 13% weightage of questions in the exam. Here are some important books for preparation of engineering mathematics.
- GATE Engineering Mathematics by Abhinav Goel and Suraj Singh
- Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Sastry S.S
- Engineering Mathematics - Part 1 by Dr. D.S.C.
- Problems and Solutions in Engineering Mathematics by T.C. Gupta
- Engineering Mathematics - Vol.1 by Sharma J.P
GATE 2018 Syllabus CE- Structural Engineering
|Mechanics||Bending moment and shear force in statically determinate beams. Simple stress and strain relationship: Stress and strain in two dimensions, principal stresses, stress transformation, Mohr’s circle. Simple bending theory, flexural and shear stresses, unsymmetrical bending, shear centre. Thin walled pressure vessels, uniform torsion, buckling of column, combined and direct bending stresses.|
|Structural Analysis||Analysis of statically determinate trusses, arches, beams, cables and frames, displacements in statically determinate structures and analysis of statically indeterminate structures by force/ energy methods, analysis by displacement methods (slope deflection and moment distribution methods), influence lines for determinate and indeterminate structures. Basic concepts of matrix methods of structural analysis.|
|Concrete Structures||Concrete Technology- properties of concrete, basics of mix design.|
|Steel Structures||Analysis and design of tension and compression members, beams and beam-columns, column bases. Connections- simple and eccentric, beam-column connections, plate girders and trusses. Plastic analysis of beams and frames.|
Preparation Books for Structural Engineering
- Structural Engineering Formulas by Ilya Mikhelson
- Structural Analysis by R. C. Hibbeler
- Structural Engineer's Pocket Book by Fiona Cobb
- Structural engineering reference manual by Alan Williams
- Fundamentals of Structural Engineering by Jerome J. Connor and Susan Faraji
GATE 2018 Syllabus CE- Geotechnical Engineering
|Soil Mechanics||Origin of soils, soil classification, three-phase system, fundamental definitions, relationship and interrelationships, permeability &seepage, effective stress principle, consolidation, compaction, shear strength.|
|Establishation Engineering||Sub-surface investigations- scope, drilling bore holes, sampling, penetration tests, plate load test. Earth pressure theories, the effect of water table, layered soils. Stability of slopes-infinite slopes, finite slopes. Establish action types-establishation design requirements. Shallow establishations-bearing capacity, the effect of shape, water table and other factors, stress distribution, settlement analysis in sands & clays. Deep establishations–pile types, dynamic & static formulae, the load capacity of piles in sands & clays, negative skin friction.|
Preparation Books for Geotechnical Engineering
- Principles of Geotechnical Engineering by Braja M Das
- Geotechnical Engineering Design by Ming Xiao
- Fundamentals of Geotechnical Engineering by Braja M Das
- Geotechnical Engineering by T. G. Sitharam and T.N. Ramamurthy
- Geotechnical Engineer's Portable Handbook by Robert W Day
GATE 2018 Syllabus CE- Water Resources Engineering
|Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics||Properties of fluids, the principle of conservation of mass, momentum, energy and corresponding equations, potential flow, applications of momentum and Bernoulli’s equation, laminar and turbulent flow, flow in pipes, pipe networks. The concept of the boundary layer and its growth. Uniform flow, critical flow and gradually varied flow in channels, specific energy concept, hydraulic jump. Forces on immersed bodies, flow measurements in channels, tanks and pipes. Dimensional analysis and hydraulic modelling. Kinematics of flow, velocity triangles and specific speed of pumps and turbines.|
|Hydrology||Hydrologic cycle, rainfall, evaporation, infiltration, stage discharge relationships, unit hydrographs, flood estimation, reservoir capacity, reservoir and channel routing. Well, hydraulics.|
|Irrigation||Duty, delta, estimation of evapotranspiration and Crop water requirements.|
|Design of||lined and unlined canals, waterways, head works, gravity dams and spillways. Design of weirs on permeable stabilisation. Types of the irrigation system, irrigation methods. Waterlogging and drainage, sodic soils.|
Preparation Books for Water Resources Engineering
- Hydrology and Water Resources by Experienced Professor
- Water Supply Engineering by Santosh Kumar Garg
- Water Resources Engineering by Gupta
- Irrigation and Water Power Engineering by B.C. Punmia, Ashok Kumar Jain, Arun Kumar Jain, and Pande Brij Basi Lal
- Water-Resources Engineering: International Edition by David A Chin
GATE 2018 Syllabus CE- Environmental Engineering
|Water requirements||Quality standards, basic unit procedures and operations for water treatment. Drinking water standards, water requirements, basic unit operations and unit procedures for surface water treatment, distribution of water. Sewage and sewerage treatment, quantity and characteristics of wastewater. Primary, secondary and tertiary treatment of wastewater, sludge disposal, effluent discharge standards. Domestic wastewater treatment, characteristics of domestic wastewater, primary and secondary treatment Unit operations and unit procedures of domestic wastewater, sludge disposal.|
|Air Pollution||Types of pollutants, their sources and impacts, air pollution meteorology, air pollution control, air quality standards and limits.|
|Municipal Solid Wastes||Characteristics, generation, collection and transportation of solid wastes, engineered systems for solid waste management (reuse/ recycle, energy recovery, treatment and disposal).|
|Noise Pollution||Impacts of noise, permissible limits of noise pollution, measurement of noise and control of noise pollution.|
Preparation Books for Environmental Engineering
- Introduction to Environmental Engineering by David A Cornwell and Mackenzie L Davis
- Environmental engineering and sanitation by Joseph A. Salvato
- Textbook of Environmental Engineering by P. Venugopala Rao
- Chemistry for environmental engineering and science by Clair N. Sawyer
- Elements of Environmental Engineering by K. N. Duggal
GATE 2018 Syllabus CE- Transportation Engineering
|Highway Planning||Geometric design of highways, testing and specifications of paving materials, the design of flexible and rigid pavements.|
|Traffic Engineering||Traffic characteristics, the theory of traffic flow, intersection design, traffic signs and signal design, highway capacity.|
Preparation Books for Transportation Engineering
- Transportation Engineering and Planning by C. S. Papacostas and Panos Prevedouros
- Highway Engineering by Rangwala
- Principles of Transportation Engineering by Chakraborty and Das
- Text Book On Transportation Engineering by Chandola and S.P
- Transportation Planning: Principles, Exercises and Policies by Sarkar Prabir Kumar, Maitri Vinay, and Joshi G.J
GATE 2018 Syllabus CE- Geomatics Engineering
|Principles of surveying; Mistakes and their adjustment; Maps - scale, coordinate system; Distance and angle measurement - Levelling and trigonometric levelling; Traversing and triangulation survey; Total station; Horizontal and vertical curves. Photogrammetry - scale, flying height; remote sensing - basics, platform and sensors, visual image interpretation; Basics of Geographical information system (GIS) and Geographical Positioning System (GPS).|
|The importance of surveying, principles and classifications, mapping concepts, coordinate system, map projections, measurements of distance and directions, levelling, theodolite traversing, plane table surveying, mistakes and adjustments, curves.|
Preparation Books for Geomatics Engineering
- Elementary Surveying: An Introduction to Geomatics by Charles D. Ghilani and Paul R. Wolf
- Precision Surveying: The Principles and Geomatics Exercise by John Olusegun Ogundare
- Basics of Geomatics by Mario A. Gomarasca
- Geomatics Engineering: A Practical Guide to Project Design by Clement A. Ogaja
Exam Format GATE 2018
GATE is an all India competitive exams for engineers from various disciplines. There are total 23 papers in GATE. Participants can appear for one paper at one time. Aspirants need to make sure that they go via GATE Exam Format before starting the preparation for the exam.
- The period of the exam is three hours.
- The question paper consists of 65 questions worth 100 marks.
- The exam comprises 2 types of question - Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Numerical Response Type (NAT).
- GATE is held in online method only (Computer-Based Test).
- For 1 mark MCQs, 1/3 marks will be deducted for every wrong response.
- There is no negative marking for NAT but it is eligible for MCQs.
- GATE includes 3 sections namely- General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics and specific subject of the paper
- Likewise, for 2 marks MCQs, 2/3 marks will be deducted.
|GATE 2017 Section||Name of the Section||Weightage|
|Section 1||Engineering Mathematics||13% |
|Section 2||General Aptitude||15% |
|Section 3||Subject Questions||72% |
Syllabus Of Other Papers GATE 2018
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Engineering Sciences||XE||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electronics and Communication||EC||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||TF|
|Instrumentation Engineering||IN|| || |
Share on Whatsapp