GATE 2018 Engineering Sciences (XE) Question Paper, Answer Key & Paper Analysis
Last Updated -
February 03 2018
GATE XE 2018 Exam has been held successfully on February 3, 2018. The paper was of moderate level. Most of the questions were asked from Linear Algebra. As compared to earlier year this time Engineering Mathematics paper was easy. Review Groups, Fields and Matrices. Vector Spaces, Subspaces, Linearly Dependent/Independent of Vectors. Check GATE Cut off
- The maximum marks out of 100, as per earlier years’ figure is 78.33 whereas the at least marks in GATE 2018 would be 18.
- GATE Result will be declared on March 17, 2018.
- Functions of the single variable: Limit, continuity, and Differentiability were of moderate difficulty level. Check GATE XE Paper Analysis
- Questions were asked of – Eigenvalues and eigenvectors; Diagonalisation of matrices; Cayley-Hamilton Theorem.
- Cut off for GATE 2018 XE would be announced along with the results which would differ from aspirant’s category to category (General/SC/ST/OBC/PH).
- Kinematics section involved questions from the Eulerian and Lagrangian description of fluids motion, concept of local and convective accelerations, steady and unsteady flows.
- The scores and rank obtained in GATE 2018 XE paper by aspirants will be accepted in all IITs, NITs and other top institutes that provides M.Tech. in the same discipline.
- GATE 2018 (XE) scorecard is also used by several PSU for appointing for the position of entry-level graduate engineers.
GATE XE 2018 Response Key
GATE 2018 (XE) response key will be announced through the online method by the examination organizing authority, that is, IIT Guwahati on February 15, 2018. Response key is quite helpful for aspirants appearing for the entrance examination as they can calculate an estimated score that could be expected.
In the case of any discrepancy in the announced response keys, the aspirants can challenge it within a stipulated date, that is tentatively by March 1, 2018 – March 5, 2018. The respective dates would be completely mentioned on GATE 2018 official website.
How to Download GATE XE 2018 Response Key?
- Visit the official website for GATE 2018 i.e. gate.iitg.ac.in/
- Click on the link that says post exam à Response key (XE) 2018
- Enter the need aspirant’s credentials i.e. Registration ID and Password.
- Click on submit button.
- GATE 2018 (XE) Response Key will then be displayed in pdf pattern.
- Download it and cross-check your responses.
- Do take a print out for future academic reference.
Paper Analysis for GATE XE 2018
The estimated detailed paper analysis of the GATE examination for engineering science is elaborated in this section. The analysis would help aspirants appearing for this exam to have a better understanding of the exam format as well as difficulty level.
Overall Difficulty Level
- Few questions were prompted by General Aptitude which was common to all GATE question papers including engineering science (XE). The questions concerned to this subject was trickier.
- Section B of the question paper has 7 topics from which aspirants have to choose two of them. The questions from this section are expected to range from moderate to difficult.
- The Section A that is Engineering Mathematics was of moderate difficulty level.
Types of Questions
- Some direct one-liner questions were seen.
- The paper has theoretical as well as numerical response type questions overall.
- The remaining part of GATE (XE) question paper would comprise General Aptitude questions which have 15% of the total weight.
- Engineering Mathematics is a mandatory section that carries 15% of the total weight.
- The questions based the main subject, that is, engineering science exam has 70% of the total weight in GATE 2018 (XE) question paper.
Subject-wise weight in GATE 2018 Engineering Sciences (XE)
|Section||Subject||Subject-wise weight in GATE 2018 Engineering Sciences (XE)|
|A||Engineering Mathematics and General Aptitude||15|
|B (any two-optional section)||Fluid Mechanics,|
Polymer Science and Engineering,
Food Technology or
Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences.
Cut off for GATE XE 2018
Cut off marks are the at least qualifying marks that an aspirant obligatory in order to be able to attend the counseling and later get admissions to desired course and college. GATE 2018 Engineering Science cut off marks would vary from aspirant’s category to category. GATE Cut off 2018 for all the listed categories is as follows:
|Category||At Least Qualifying Cut Off|
|SC, ST and OBC||29.26|
NOTE: The figures mentioned above are tentative and subject to change as per discretion. Aspirants are advised to check with GATE 2018 (XE) cut off announced on the official website of GATE 2018 after the releasement of respective results.
Share on Whatsapp